What can I do if I am unhappy about my divorce decree?

After the process of getting a divorce in Ohio, you may be left with a divorce decree that you are less than happy with. There are a number of reasons why this may happen. In any case, though, you do have the right to try to get it changed if you so desire. You must follow a formal process to have any changes made to a divorce decree, according to the Ohio State Bar Association. However, what you must do depends on who handled your case. You must go through different methods depending on whether your case went through a judge or a magistrate.

Dividing retirement accounts

Retirement accounts often rank among the most complex assets that have to be dealt with during property division proceedings. One reason may be because many in Columbus may question why these accounts are even considered to be marital property. On their own, they are not; it is the contributions made to them during a marriage that are. Contributions to a 401k or retirement pension plan are typically benefits one earns through their employer. Like the salary own receives, these benefits are intended to aid an employee and their family, thus the designation of employee benefits as marital assets. 

What should child support cover?

If you're going through a divorce and have at least one child with your soon-to-be ex-spouse, you may find yourself paying or receiving child support payments in the future. Understanding how this works is important, as there are many details that will impact you.

Maintaining composure during a custody battle

Family law disputes of any kind can be challenging, but those which involve kids are especially concerning in many cases. As a parent, you may be worried about your child’s future and how the outcome of the dispute will impact their lives. Moreover, you may be dealing with other serious challenges, such as a heated disagreement with your former spouse. Our law office realizes that it can be incredibly hard to work through this aspect of family law but maintaining your composure during these tough times is pivotal.

What is a power of attorney?

After a divorce, you have many things you need to change and adjust with your estate plan. It is important to make sure that you do not forget anything. One thing you may overlook is your power of attorney. According to the National Caregiver Library, a power of attorney gives the person you name, the agent, the legal authority to make decisions for you if you cannot do it yourself.

Schedule A Free Consultation With Attorney Gregg R. Lewis

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get my free consultation

When You Need Guidance For Life's Most Critical Problems, Trust A Longtime Law Firm In Columbus.

Gregg R. Lewis, Esq. - Harry Lewis Co., LPA
625 City Park Avenue
Columbus, OH 43206

Phone: 614-221-3938
Fax: 614-221-3713
Columbus Law Office Map