It doesn't matter if you're making child support payments or receiving money every month, it's critical to understand how the funds are being used. There may come a point when you have a big question to answer: Is the non-custodial parent obligated to help pay for any college-related expenses, such as tuition, and room and board?

The most important thing to remember is that most education-related expenses are addressed during the divorce process. So, if you have questions about this, it's best to review your divorce agreement.

How to plan for the future

If you're divorced, you shouldn't count on your ex-spouse to pay for your child's college expenses. While they may want to take on some of the financial burden, there's no guarantee this will happen.

Here are some of the questions you can answer as you plan for the future:

  • Did you address college expenses in your divorce agreement?
  • Is your ex the type of person who will want to help their child, or will they shy away from this?
  • What are the financial resources of your child? Will they qualify for government aid or scholarships?
  • Have you and/or your ex-spouse saved any money for your child's college expenses?

As you answer these questions, you'll come to better understand your current situation and what your child is likely to face in the future.

Typical college expenses

There are many expenses associated with college, including but not limited to:

  • Tuition
  • Room and board
  • Transportation and travel
  • Books and other supplies
  • General living expenses

By reviewing these up front, all parties will gain a better understanding of how much money is required for the child to obtain a college education.

If your child or children are closing in on their high school graduation, there's no time like the present to turn your attention to this important matter. It's not an easy conversation to have, but you should discuss financial matters relating to this expense with your ex-spouse.

If you run into any issues, such as if your ex isn't living up to their end of the divorce agreement, learn more about your legal rights.

Visit our website and read our blog for additional information on divorce and child support in Ohio.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Free Consultation With Attorney Gregg R. Lewis

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get my free consultation

When You Need Guidance For Life's Most Critical Problems, Trust A Longtime Law Firm In Columbus.

Gregg R. Lewis, Esq. - Harry Lewis Co., LPA
625 City Park Avenue
Columbus, OH 43206

Phone: 614-221-3938
Fax: 614-221-3713
Columbus Law Office Map