Gregg R. Lewis

Trusted Family Law

Services In Columbus

Gregg R. Lewis
Trusted Family Law Services In Columbus

Can’t pay child support? A modification could be the answer

On Behalf of | Mar 12, 2018 | Child Custody |

After divorce, you’ll still share the expense of raising your child with the other parent. Even though you’re no longer married or living together, you still need to be on the same page in regard to what you’re responsible for from a financial perspective.

If the court orders you to pay child support you realize that this is a great way to provide your child with the money he or she needs for life’s necessities. Unfortunately, your financial situation could change at some point, which leads to a situation in which you are no longer able to make your regularly scheduled child support payments in full.

A child support modification could be the answer to your financial problems. If you’re interested in this, here are some steps to take:

  • Don’t wait around and hope that you come into money. Once you realize you’re unable to make your child support payments you should learn more about a modification and how to proceed. The court will expect you to keep up with your payments until you receive a modification.
  • Talk to the other parent. Even if you don’t have a good relationship you can still talk to your ex-spouse about your situation and how you hope to make things better. Depending on your circumstances, the other party may agree to a temporary child support modification.
  • Keep up to the best of your ability. You can’t stop making child support payments and assume that everything will be okay. You need to keep up until your court date arrives.
  • Make note of why you are unable to afford your child support. The court will not issue a modification for no good reason. You need to prove that your financial situation has changed or that you’re unable to earn enough money to pay your support in full.

There is no way of knowing for sure if the court will approve your child support modification, but you shouldn’t hesitate to learn more. If you are unable to make your payments, it’s the only option you have.

With the right approach, you can receive a modification that will eliminate some financial stress from your life. Once you understand your legal rights and the child support system, you’ll have a clear idea of what to do next.



To schedule an initial consultation, contact our firm 614-221-3938 or send our staff an email.