After the process of getting a divorce in Ohio, you may be left with a divorce decree that you are less than happy with. There are a number of reasons why this may happen. In any case, though, you do have the right to try to get it changed if you so desire. You must follow a formal process to have any changes made to a divorce decree, according to the Ohio State Bar Association. However, what you must do depends on who handled your case. You must go through different methods depending on whether your case went through a judge or a magistrate.

If a judge handled your case, then you must go through the appeals process. You must follow the appellate court rules. If you fail to follow these rules, you will end up having your case dismissed. Do note this process can be lengthy. It also requires quite a bit of paperwork. You have to make sure to include all requested documents. You can file an appeal within 30 days of the finalization of your divorce decree. Your ex-spouse will then have 20 days to respond to your appeal.

If your case went through a magistrate, then you will file an objection. This requires less paperwork than an appeal, but you still must follow the proper procedure. This includes putting your objection in writing with specific details on why you want a change to divorce decree. You also need to include a transcript of your trial. You only have 14 days to file an objection, and your ex-spouse has just 10 days to respond.

Make sure that you choose the process required for your type of case to avoid further issues. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Free Consultation With Attorney Gregg R. Lewis

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get my free consultation

When You Need Guidance For Life's Most Critical Problems, Trust A Longtime Law Firm In Columbus.

Gregg R. Lewis, Esq. - Harry Lewis Co., LPA
625 City Park Avenue
Columbus, OH 43206

Phone: 614-221-3938
Fax: 614-221-3713
Columbus Law Office Map