Photo of the legal professionals at Harry Lewis Co., LPA
Photo of the legal professionals at Harry Lewis Co., LPA

Trusted In The Columbus Area
For More Than 40 Years

Photo of the legal professionals at Harry Lewis Co., LPA

Trusted In The Columbus Area For More Than 40 Years

You Can Change Your Child Custody Plans

When it comes to parenting, change is not only constant, it can happen so quickly it can be hard to keep up. One day your child is into one hobby, the next they’re onto something completely different. Then factor in childcare, school, your work schedule and the other parent’s work schedule – it’s amazing if child custody arrangements continue to work for a few years, let alone a few months.

But when those arrangements no longer work, there’s no need to stress out over trying to adhere to them. Child custody orders are meant to last, but they are not set in stone. Child custody modifications are possible. Our firm, Harry Lewis Co., LPA, in Columbus, Ohio, led by attorney Gregg Lewis, has the experience to help you navigate this process so you can get back to parenting as soon as possible.

Reasons Why Child Custody Arrangements May Need To Be Changed

One of the most common reasons for changing child custody orders is work-related. If you or the other parent have started a new job or switched shifts at your current job, your existing orders may no longer make sense. This is a common reason to seek modification of child custody orders.

A change may also be required due to the changing needs of the child. What might have worked when your kid was 7 may no longer be feasible now that they are 13, whether that’s because of school sports, extracurricular activities or other reasons.

Occasionally, one parent will want to move – across the city, across the state or even in a different part of the world. Needless to say, the same pick-up and drop-off schedule is not likely to work if one parent is now living in Wisconsin. A new child custody schedule may include built-in phone calls, video chats and designated times for in-person visits.

Sometimes, a change is needed due to the health or safety of a child. Perhaps one parent has fallen prey to alcohol abuse or is with a new partner who is a danger to the child. These situations are thankfully rare, but they do happen and parents should know they can take action.

There are certainly other reasons why you may want to modify parenting plans and child custody arrangements. We encourage you to reach out to us to discuss your options with a lawyer.

When Both Parents Agree To The Changes

In most cases, both parents know that a change is necessary. While it may be tempting for the two of you to work things out on your own and reach a verbal agreement about a new parenting schedule, making the modification official with the courts is important. Not only does it make the agreement binding, but it protects you from potential legal action if the other parent were to accuse you of not following the child custody orders that are on record. We can help you easily make the child custody modification official.

When One Parent Wants To Make A Change And The Other Does Not

Have you proposed a change to your parenting arrangements, only to have the other parent reject it? If this is the case, it is important to proceed with care. Do not simply stop following the existing arrangements, as you could be accused of violating a court order. This is the ideal time to reach out to us so you can explore your options with the help of an experienced child custody attorney.

Has the other parent approached you about a change that does not make sense to you or your schedule? If they enlist a lawyer to make the change or if they violate existing orders, it is critical that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. We can help.

In most cases, these matters can be resolved through negotiation. There are many creative ways to come up with a schedule that works for everyone involved, and we can help you find one that is right for you. However, if it comes down to it, we are also able to pursue more aggressive action in court for the outcome that makes sense to protect your relationship with your child.

To discuss this further, please send us an email or reach out by phone: 614-721-6175.